What are termites: Termites are small wood destroying insects. Termites can be beneficial as long as they are not in the home, they like to feast on fallen trees and decaying wood. When they do this it helps break them down and go back into the soil. When they nest in the home though they can create lots of damage. They eat at the wood that is creating structure and support for your home.
Are termites dangerous: Termites are not dangerous towards people, they only are dangerous towards the structure and support of the home. They are slow when causing problems and most people don’t even know they have an issue until they have already been there for many months.
Why do I have them: Termites migrate from the ground into the house. If you have anything that is wood or even decaying around the home that is touching the ground you are more likely to get termites.
Where will I find them: Termites like to create nests underground or in the wood that they are starting to eat. Most actually will go back and forth between the nest and the affected area. Inside the home they are attracted to anything that has some damage to it. Mainly water damage is prime real estate for termites.
How do I get rid of them: Like any pest they can be difficult to get rid of as they like to create nests anywhere and everywhere in and out of the home. By using Hawx pest control we can create a treatment plan to help eliminate any termites that may be in or around your home.
- It’s recommended to put some sort of barrier between the ground and the foundation of the home. They can be either small rocks or some form of cement blocks.
- Try not to use mulch or wood chips close to the home when gardening.
- Keep basements and crawl spaces in the home dry by using a dehumidifier.
- Replace leaky fixtures as much as possible.
- Check and remove any wood inside or around the home that you suspect might start to be getting water damage or starting to rot.
- Keep gutters clean to prevent water backing up into the house.
- Make sure that the windows and doorways around the home are sealed so no moisture gets in.